Sunday, April 17, 2016

Architectural Word of the Day; 221 - 230


The particularly enriched frame enclosing a door, window or fireplace. The horizontal top piece or lintel is called the TRANSVERSE whilst the vertical supporting members are called the MONTANTS or ASCENDANTS.




A parapet featuring MERLONS, upright defensive extensions of a fortification alternated with lower, open intervals called CRENELS. Such a parapet or battlement is said to be 'Crenelated'.


In a traditional timber frame building an oft elaborately carved and ornamented fascia board that hangs down from the projecting gable so as to mask and protect the otherwise exposed purlins supporting the roof.


In timber frame construction Noggin or Dwang refers to the horizontal bracing pieces rebated between the vertical wall studs.

Noggin can also refer to the brick masonry infill between timbers, occasionally left exposed, more often parged (stuccoed).

Contributed by Patrick Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment